This position requires authorized full-time release for the duration of the term of office. The incumbent should make every effort to take up the duties of the President as soon as possible after the election.
- Coordinates and chairs the Executive Committee
- Represents the Federation at inter-agency meetings
- Works closely with the General Secretary
- Formulates policy in collaboration with the Executive Committee (with input from Standing Committees, Regional Committees and FICSA Secretariat staff)
- Is in charge of the Federation’s communication with official inter-agency bodies such as the ICSC, heads of member organizations, amongst others
- Organizes the FICSA Council programme, in coordination with the General Secretary, and reports back to the membership
- Is responsible for enhancing collaboration with sister federations
- Is responsible for fund-raising activities
 The positions of President and General Secretary require authorized full-time release for the normal two-year mandate. Candidates should therefore seek advance agreement from their respective administrations to provide fully- funded release; the agreement should be made available to FICSA as soon as possible before the elections but no later than 48 hours before the elections are held. Should agreement to the release be refused, the staff association/union should be provided with the reason(s) in writing and FICSA should be informed immediately. All candidates should be prepared to serve FICSA throughout their mandate.